As a social media user, you have most likely seen a multitude of Twitter posts with the hashtag sign (#).
Unless you are living under a rock, you have heard thousands of people talk about it, and seen millions of Twitter users take advantage of this sign.
Can This Trendy Sign Help Online Marketing Campaigns?
There are benefits that can be obtained from using Twitter hashtags, specifically when used in a strategic fashion.
From increasing user interaction to improving communication to developing brand awareness using hashtags in Twitter social media marketing campaigns can boost your efforts in many different ways.
What Are Twitter Hashtags?
A Twitter hashtag is a phrase or word that is preceded by a # sign.
- It is used to organize tweets under a particular umbrella category or topic.
- People use it before a relevant phrase or keyword (with no space) in their tweets, in order to categorize them, help them show up more easily in Twitter’s search results and to better organize vast amounts of tweet data.
- With a hashtag sign, you are turning any word or phrase into a searchable Twitter link.
Examples of Hashtags Used For Online Marketing Topics
How Hashtags Benefit Marketers
Adding hashtags in your tweets can be beneficial to you in a variety of ways.
- Tweets with these signs normally get more engagement than posts without them
- They can help improve your reputation and gain more followers on Twitter
- They help your target audience find your relevant information in a faster, more convenient and more efficient manner
- Reach a targeted audience for a higher ROI
- Use hashtags to track conversations, track and follow influential participants in your niche, review hot topics, and pinpoint hot trends
- Increase brand awareness and brand relativity to specific topics, products and/or services
- Hash tagging allows you to effectively launch new campaigns, get feedback from recent offers, spread the word for upcoming events, and introduce new products
- You can create your own brand name hashtag as well that can further develop brand awareness and engagement
- Relevant Leads: With Twitter hashtags, you are encouraging relevant users to join your conversations and tweets. This, in turn, gives you quality targeted leads that are actually interested in buying your products or subscribing to your newsletters
- Get found in SERPS: hashtags get indexed in google search for another valuable opportunity to be found online
- Use them to introduce new products and services
How To Use Hashtags In Online Marketing
Many of today’s renowned global brands have Twitter accounts, and most of them are taking advantage of hashtags to promote specific campaigns and events. In addition, smaller online businesses are using hashtags to increase their following, build their brand, and generate more leads.
Searching For Appropriate Hashtags
Hashtagify.me is an advanced hashtag search engine site where you can find popular hashtags, search for those related to your topics by keyword, review usage patterns, in-depth intelligence and find top influencers.
Choose hashtags relevant to your niche or industry and your brand name to improve your visibility and engage a targeted audience.
Before you implement your own branded Twitter hashtag, it is essential to find out what type of # makes sense for your objectives and brand.
As with links, Twitter hashtags, when over used, will appear like spam. As an Internet marketer, you should have a maximum of three hashtags per tweet.
Moreover, avoid hash tagging the same phrase or word twice like this:
#Hercules is an amazing film! Everyone go watch #Hercules, it is simply #redundant.
Analytics And Resources
Talkwalker and Hashtracking are popular and efficient tools that gather Twitter hashtag data like gender distribution, demographics, reach, as well as, sentiment analysis on a variety of hashtags.
These analytic tools can come in handy, for analyzing the results of your Twitter hashtag efforts.
Using hashtags in your Twitter campaigns is essential for many reasons; take advantage of this technique as it that can propel your social media marketing efforts forward.